Memorial Health University Medical Center (MHUMC) is an excellent place to learn internal medicine, and Savannah, Georgia, is an amazing place to live. Our faculty members are dedicated to teaching our residents and medical students. In addition to a stable, experienced core group of general internal medicine faculty, there is tremendous support of education throughout every subspecialty. Memorial Health is in the top 5 percent of hospitals in the nation in terms of size, patient volume, and scope of services. The internal medicine residency is MHUMC's largest and oldest residency program.
We approach our work with a focus on optimizing the training environment and strengthening education. We are sensitive to the balance between education and service and have acted to modify rotations that have been disproportionately weighted. We involve our residents in nearly every aspect of the program, including recruitment, curriculum development, and scheduling, and are constantly re-evaluating the training program. Our residents are actively involved in the education of medical students from Mercer University School of Medicine, which has a four-year program here on the campus at MHUMC.
Recognized strengths of our program include:
- A faculty motivated to teach and mentor - our general internists’ clinical practices are 100 percent teaching-based and there are no non-teaching coverage responsibilities.
- Excellent subspecialty experiences all at a single institution.
- Comprehensive and innovative curriculum focusing on educational outcomes.
- Excellent information technology services. Most of our residents access labs, reference materials, and orders on iPads. We are expecting that all of our residents will be supplied with an iPad in the near future.
- Moonlighting opportunities on site with our hospital medicine department. Our hospitalists enjoy working with and teaching residents. These opportunities are compensated very competitively.
- Nearly 100 percent of our graduates obtain their first-choice job or fellowship, with diverse representation across types and scopes of practices.
- A diverse, supportive, and friendly complement of resident physicians who work extremely well together.
We look forward to meeting you and hope that you will visit MHUMC. You will discover why this is an ideal place to train in internal medicine.
Michael Wilkowski, M.D., FACP
Department of Internal Medicine
Memorial Health University Medical Center
For more information, please contact our residency program coordinator, Shauntelle Brown, at (912) 350-7573 or by email