Guidelines for Visiting Medical Students from Mercer University and Other College Programs
Memorial Health University Medical Center has a limited number of clinical electives available for visiting students in their fourth year of medical school. Mercer University School of Medicine students have first priority in selecting rotations and consequently, we cannot always accommodate visiting students at the time or in the discipline requested. However, students from all eligible programs are invited to apply. Visiting student applications are accepted beginning in May. Visiting student elective rotations are available between August and May.
Eligible visiting students are limited to a maximum of eight weeks of electives. Accepted students are responsible for securing their own housing for the rotation. All visiting students are charged a $75 application fee payable to Mercer University School of Medicine. Memorial University Medical Center requires all visiting students to complete a background check and drug screen through PSI ($76). Please note that you should NOT complete the background check and drug screen until you have been approved for a rotation.
LCME Accredited Medical School Student Application Process
Mercer University School of Medicine will be using VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications To apply to our school, please complete and send us a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates.
For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas or contact VSAS at email@example.com.
- Completed application form or letter of good standing
- Completed immunization record form and current flu shot record
- Copy of student’s USMLE score sheet showing the student has passed the Step 1 exam or its equivalent
- Copy of home school’s malpractice insurance certificate
- Copy of student’s healthcare insurance card
- Student photo
- VSAS application
- Certificate of scrub training for surgery and Ob/Gyn rotations
- Application fee of $75, in the form of a check or money order payable to Mercer University School of Medicine
AOA Accredited Osteopathic Medicine School and Caribbean Medical School Student Application Process Application Requirements
- The student must be currently enrolled, in good standing, in his/her final year of medical school at a CACMS accredited Allopathic Medical School or an AOA accredited Osteopathic Medicine School.
- The student must provide proof that he/she has taken and passed the USMLE Step I exam or its equivalent.
- The student must provide proof that he/she has successfully completed all prerequisites for the course(s) he/she is applying to for admission.
- The student must provide proof that his/her school’s malpractice insurance will cover him/her while visiting our institution. A copy of the certificate must be included with the application.
- The student must provide proof that his/her healthcare insurance covers him/her while at our institution and that the policy provides for repatriation in the event of serious illness or death.
- The student must provide proof of required immunizations: negative PPD or negative CXR; MMR or rubella immunity by titer; hepatitis B or opt out, tetanus, varicella vaccination or immunity if working in pediatrics. If student is opting out of the hepatitis B vaccine, a declination statement must be signed and submitted to Memorial. Attach a completed immunization record with the application.
- The student must have a background check and drug screen conducted through Professional Screening & Information (PSI) at the expense of the student.
- All Memorial Health University Medical Center paperwork must be completed before the rotation begins.
For all other inquiries, contact Kelli Lemieux at (912) 721-8186 (fax: (912) 721-8267) or firstname.lastname@example.org