Medical Student Electives
Guidelines for Visiting Medical Students from Mercer University and Other College Programs
All Visiting Students will be using Clinician Nexus, the Visiting Student Application Service to receive visiting student applications. To apply for an elective, complete and send your application for your preferred electives and dates through Clinician Nexus.
For more information on Clinician Nexus, please visit https://app.cliniciannexus.com
Memorial Health University Medical Center has a limited number of clinical electives available for visiting students in their fourth year of medical school. Mercer University School of Medicine students have first priority in selecting rotations and consequently, we cannot always accommodate visiting students at the time or in the discipline requested. However, students from all eligible programs are invited to apply. Visiting student applications are accepted beginning in May. Visiting student elective rotations are available between August and May.
Eligible visiting students are limited to a maximum of eight weeks of electives. Accepted students are responsible for securing their own housing for the rotation. Memorial University Medical Center requires all visiting students to complete a background check and drug screen through PSI (prices vary based on age and drug screen panel requirements). Please note that you should NOT complete the background check and drug screen until you have been approved for a rotation.
LCME Accredited Medical School Student Application Process
Documentation Requirements for HCA GME/ Memorial Health University Medical Center (including the forms below and/ or instructions can be found in Clinician Nexus).
- Student Photo
- Certificate of completion – COMPLEX/ USMLE Score Report
- COMLEX/ USMLE Score(s)
- CV/ Resume
- Acknowledgement and Attestation of Required Student Training
- Code of Conduct Education
- Diversity Training
- Emergency Codes Training
- Infection Control Training
- Insurance Health Insurance Verification
- Non-Employee Information Form
- Parking Decal Form
- Copy of home school’s malpractice insurance certificate
- Background Check – Pre-Check (Elective Rotations) (DO NOT COMPLETE THIS PROCESS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE ELECTIVE).
- Confidentiality and Security Agreement (Elective Rotations)
- Demographic Information
- Drug Screen – Pre-Check (Elective Rotations) (DO NOT COMPLETE THIS PROCESS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE ELECTIVE).
- Immunization Records (Elective Rotation)
- Implementation Letter (Elective Rotations)
- School Approval of Rotation - NOVA students
- Completed application form or letter of good standing
AOA Accredited Osteopathic Medicine School and Caribbean Medical School Student Application Process Application Requirements
Provide all requested information below and complete the forms in Clinician Nexus at https://app.cliniciannexus.com
- The student must be currently enrolled, in good standing, in his/her final year of medical school at a CACMS accredited Allopathic Medical School or an AOA accredited Osteopathic Medicine School.
- The student must provide proof that he/she has taken and passed the USMLE Step I exam and/or COMPLEX 1. Based on the program, you may be required to submit both USMLE and COMPLEX Scores.
- The student must provide proof that he/she has successfully completed all prerequisites for the course(s) he/she is applying to for admission.
- The student must provide proof that his/her school’s malpractice insurance will cover him/her while visiting our institution. A copy of the certificate must be included with the application.
- The student must provide proof that his/her healthcare insurance covers him/her while at our institution and that the policy provides for repatriation in the event of serious illness or death.
- The student must provide proof of required immunizations: negative PPD or negative CXR; MMR or rubella immunity by titer; hepatitis B or opt out, tetanus, varicella vaccination or immunity if working in pediatrics. If student is opting out of the hepatitis B vaccine, a declination statement must be signed and submitted to Memorial. Attach a completed immunization record with the application.
- The student must have a background check and drug screen conducted through Professional Screening & Information (PSI) at the expense of the student. (DO NOT COMPLETE THIS PROCESS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE ELECTIVE).
- All Memorial Health University Medical Center paperwork must be completed before the rotation begins.
For all HCA GME inquires, contact Jean Wiggins at Jean.Wiggins@hcahealthcare.com.
Contacts for inquiries pertaining to individual 4th year student clerkships electives are:
Pediatrics – Jackie Robinson at Jacqueline.email@example.com
Psychiatry – Barbara Roundtree at Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Medicine – Marquitta Blevins at email@example.com
Surgery – Sue Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal Medicine – Sandra Simmons at Sandra.email@example.com
OBGYN – Maureen Gritzmaker at Maureen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Medicine – Holli Morgan at email@example.com