- Provide learning experiences based on measurable objectives for education of general surgeons during their residency.
- Integrate principles of basic sciences with clinical experiences.
- Promote a broad understanding of the role of surgery and its interaction with other medical disciplines such as general medicine, psychiatry, and pediatrics.
- Provide for progressive responsibility from initial patient care to complete patient management.
- Foster effective interdisciplinary collaborative relationships.
- Provide surgical residents with the ability to function as teachers and consultants.
- Foster continuing education to promote lifelong individual initiative and creative scholarships.
- Prepare surgical residents to use research technology and skills in conducting studies that assist in solving surgical problems.
- Develop professional leadership and management skills.
- Promote understanding of the economic, legal, and social challenges of contemporary and future surgery.
The objectives of a curriculum describe the desired changes that occur in the behavior of learners when goals of the curriculum have been achieved. These objectives are expressed as outcomes and are related to one or more of the competencies or attitudes described as outcomes of professional education. Thus, objectives for the curriculum in surgery specify what the resident should know, be able to do, or have an attitude about. Each of the following curriculum objectives should be prefaced with the phrase: "At the completion of training, the resident should be able to…"
- Manage surgical disorders based on a thorough knowledge of basic and clinical science.
- Demonstrate the appropriate skills in those surgical techniques required of a qualified surgeon.
- Demonstrate the use of critical thinking when making decisions affecting the life of a patient and the
- Make sound ethical and legal judgments appropriate for a qualified surgeon.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues and other health professionals.
- Teach and share knowledge with colleagues, residents, students, and other healthcare providers.
- Teach patients and their families about the patient's health needs.
- Demonstrate acceptance of the value of life-long learning as a necessary prerequisite to maintaining surgical knowledge and skill.
- Demonstrate a commitment to scholarly pursuits through the conduct and evaluation of research.
- Demonstrate leadership in the management of complex programs and organizations.
- Provide cost-effective care to surgical patients and families within the community.
- Respect the religious needs of patients and their families and provide surgical care in accordance with those needs.
Residents have time on Thursdays from 7 a.m. until approximately 1 p.m. for the academic component of their surgical training. The instructional methods for our conferences include performance presentation, feedback, and formal classroom instruction. The core curriculum is integrated into these discussions and through the assignment of special projects. The use of laparoscopic trainers and high-tech simulation for minimally invasive surgery is also part of our curriculum. Residents have an opportunity to use animal models for the development of minimally invasive and open surgical skills. Residents also engage in a formal mock oral examination in preparation for the qualifying examination for the American Board of Surgery.
The main components of our curriculum are: morbidity and mortality (M&M) conference, grand rounds, basic science conferences, systems-based practice, subspecialty conferences, chairman’s conferences, pathology conferences, trauma M&M, monthly research meetings, ABSITE and mock oral review, and MIS training.
Basic Conference Schedule Format
|8:00||MIS Curriculum Conference
|Grand Rounds||Research Conference||Grand Rounds||Grand Rounds|
|11:00||Trauma M&M Conference||Chairman's Conference||Chief Resident Conference||Pathology Conference alternating monthly with FES Didactic Conference||Trauma M&M Conference|
|12:00||Fundamentals of Surgery (SCORE conference) - Basic and Clinical Science||Fundamentals of Surgery (SCORE conference) - Basic and Clinical Science||Fundamentals of Surgery (SCORE conference) - Basic and Clinical Science||Fundamentals of Surgery (SCORE conference) - Basic and Clinical Science||Fundamentals of Surgery (SCORE conference) - Basic and Clinical Science|
Grand Rounds Schedule
View our schedule of upcoming grand rounds lectures.