Contact the Memorial Metabolic Institute by calling (912) 350-5800
About Memorial Metabolic Institute
The Memorial Metabolic Institute provides support and education for people diagnosed with diabetes. Our certified diabetes educators help you manage your disease by providing:
- Answers to your questions
- Assistance in putting together a healthy eating plan
- Suggestions for activities to increase physical activity
- Resources to help you manage your diabetes
Please ask your primary care physician to refer you ;to the Memorial Metabolic Institute. If you do not have a primary care physician, call MD Connect to schedule an appointment with one of our Memorial Health University Physicians (MHUP) primary care doctors.
Call MD Connect at 912-350-MHUP (6487) or 1-877-287-MHUP (6487).
Facts About Diabetes
Diabetes is a serious, chronic disease that affects about 24 million adults and children in the United States. Diabetes can affect the eyes, kidneys, nerves, heart, blood vessels, gums, and feet. It can even cause death. Early detection, education, and treatment can save your life.
Warning signs of type I diabetes
- Frequent urination
- Unusual thirst
- Extreme hunger
- Unusual weight loss
- Extreme fatigue and irritability
Warning signs of type 2 diabetes
- Any of the type 1 symptoms
- Frequent infections
- Cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
- Tingling/numbness in the hands/feet
- Recurring skin, gum, or bladder infections
- Many people with type 2 diabetes have no symptoms
Our Diabetes Educator
Sandra Brassard, R.D., CDE
Brassard is a registered dietitian and certified diabetic educator. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in dietetics from Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio. She has been part of the Memorial team since 1991 and has worked as a dietitian since 1996. She began offering diabetes education in 2009.