Pediatric intensive care in Southeast Georgia and southern South Carolina
At Memorial Health Dwaine and Cynthia Willett Children's Hospital of Savannah, our pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) offers advanced technology and expert treatment services for your child. The PICU doctors and medical team deliver comprehensive, compassionate care and 24/7 monitoring.
If your child is experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 immediately or visit your nearest emergency room (ER).
For non-emergency questions, call our free, 24-hour Consult-a-Nurse® line at (912) 350-9355.
Pediatric ICU team
The staff in the PICU is experienced in treating life-threatening illnesses in children. Pediatric care is delivered by highly skilled and compassionate medical professionals in a state-of-the-art facility.
In addition to physicians, the PICU is staffed by:
- Child life specialists
- Medical social workers
- Rehabilitation therapists
- Respiratory therapists
Our goal is to ensure that children admitted to the PICU receive comprehensive care in a calming environment, from a multidisciplinary team of professionals.
PICU treatments and services
The PICU at our children’s hospital provides a range of specialized equipment and treatments for children in need of advanced care. Some of the treatments and services we offer include:
- Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT)—This is a special type of dialysis treatment used to filter blood when the kidneys are not functioning correctly.
- Helium-oxygen treatments—The mixture of these two gases can be used to help children experiencing acute asthma attacks.
- High-frequency oscillatory ventilation—This machine helps control airway pressure in children with respiratory dysfunction.
- Nitric oxide therapy—This treatment helps patients in the PICU who are experiencing respiratory failure.
- Pediatric Emergency Team (PET)—Our PET is a dedicated group of healthcare professionals within our children's hospital with specialized training in stabilizing and treating critically ill patients.